Re: Problems Vacuum'ing

From: jseymour(at)LinxNet(dot)com (Jim Seymour)
To: pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Problems Vacuum'ing
Date: 2004-04-03 00:52:45
Lists: pgsql-hackers

> jseymour(at)LinxNet(dot)com (Jim Seymour) writes:
> > Again the difference: With WebObjects running, deleting rows and
> > trying to vacuum immediately, even full, fails. Shut-down WebObjects
> > and I can.
>
> WebObjects is evidently holding an open transaction. Ergo, anything
> deleted after the start of that transaction isn't vacuumable. You need
> to do something about the client-side logic that is holding an open
> transaction without doing anything ...

It certainly isn't holding open a transaction in the database I'm
working with. It's unclear to me it's holding any transaction open,
anywhere. This is all that showed up:

postgres=# select * from pg_locks where transaction is not null;
relation | database | transaction | pid | mode | granted
----------+----------+-------------+-------+---------------+---------
| | 1245358 | 18020 | ExclusiveLock | t
| | 1245364 | 267 | ExclusiveLock | t
(2 rows)

postgres=# select * from pg_stat_activity;
datid | datname | procpid | usesysid | usename | current_query | query_start
-------+----------+---------+----------+------------+---------------+-------------
17142 | postgres | 267 | 1 | postgres | |
17144 | qantel | 18020 | 103 | webobjects | |
(2 rows)

I don't know what those are, but they list no database or relation. I
get this just be running psql (this time at home):

jseymour=> select * from pg_locks where transaction is not null;
relation | database | transaction | pid | mode | granted
| | 8938 | 307 | ExclusiveLock | t
(1 row)

jseymour=> select * from pg_stat_activity;
datid | datname | procpid | usesysid | usename | current_query | query_start
17144 | jseymour | 307 | 101 | jseymour | |
(1 row)

Without having touched a thing.

Jim