Re: COPY formatting

From: Josh Berkus <josh(at)agliodbs(dot)com>
To: pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: COPY formatting
Date: 2004-03-18 18:32:43
Lists: pgsql-hackers

Karel, Andrew, Fernando:

> On Wed, Mar 17, 2004 at 11:02:38AM -0500, Tom Lane wrote:
> > Karel Zak <zakkr(at)zf(dot)jcu(dot)cz> writes:
> > >  The formatting function API can be pretty simple:
> > >  text *my_copy_format(text *attrdata, int direction,
> > >              int nattrs, int attr, oid attrtype, oid relation)

No offense, but isn't this whole thing more appropriate for a client program?
Like the pg_import and pg_export projects on GBorg? Has anyone looked at
those projects?

I can see making a special provision for CSV in COPY, just because it's such a
universal format. But I personally don't see that a complex, sophisticated
import/export formatter belongs on the SQL command line. Particularly since
most users will want a GUI to handle it.

And, BTW, I deal with CSV *all the time* for my insurance clients, and I can
tell you that that format hasn't changed in 20 years. We can hard-code it
if it's easier.

--
-Josh Berkus
Aglio Database Solutions