Re: currval() without specifying the sequence name

From: ow <oneway_111(at)yahoo(dot)com>
To: Achilleus Mantzios <achill(at)matrix(dot)gatewaynet(dot)com>
Cc: pgsql-sql(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: currval() without specifying the sequence name
Date: 2004-03-09 14:53:59
Lists: pgsql-sql

--- Achilleus Mantzios <achill(at)matrix(dot)gatewaynet(dot)com> wrote:

> You could use the same sequence in many tables.

I guess I could but then:

1) I'd still have to know the sequence name. When integrating pgSql with 3party
frameworks I'd either have to pass it there (could be a very difficult task) or
make some assumptions (also not very good).

2) There may be a need to have different sequences being used in an app.

3) If one sequence is used, in many cases it'll have to be of type int8 and
pgSql does not handle searches with int8 very nicely.

Thanks