REFERENCES error message complaint, suggestion

From: "Karl O(dot) Pinc" <kop(at)meme(dot)com>
To: pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: REFERENCES error message complaint, suggestion
Date: 2004-03-03 23:13:19
Lists: pgsql-general

FYI,

It'd be nice if the error message from a REFERENCES
constraint mentioned the column name into which
the bad data was attempted to be inserted.

In PostgreSQL 7.3:

sandbox=> insert into foo (id, b) values (3, 2);
ERROR: b_is_fkey referential integrity violation - key referenced from
foo not found in bar

(I only know that column 'b' is involved above because I
manually gave the constraint the 'b_is_fkey' name.)

Also, IIRC, CHECK constraint violations don't contain the text of
the constraint, so you're again reduced to relying on supplied
constraint names for a clue as to what went wrong. It'd be
nice to see the constraint itself in the error message.

Karl <kop(at)meme(dot)com>
Free Software: "You don't pay back, you pay forward."
-- Robert A. Heinlein