New News Entry

From: www(at)www(dot)postgresql(dot)com (World Wide Web Owner)
To: pgsql-www(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: New News Entry
Date: 2004-03-03 15:11:10
Lists: pgsql-www

A new entry has been added to the news database.

Database Admin: http://www.postgresql.org/admin/edit_news.php?172

Submitted by: press(at)postgresql(dot)org
Headline: PostgreSQL 7.3.6 Update Released
After several fixes were backpatches to the 7_3_STABLE branch, we have now
released a 7.3.6.

Story:

After several fixes were backpatches to the 7_3_STABLE branch, we have now
released a 7.3.6. As the list of Changes since 7.3.5 is quite small, they
are included in this email:

* Revert erroneous changes in rule permissions checking
* Repair incorrect order of operations in GetNewTransactionId()
* Ensure configure selects -fno-strict-aliasing even when an
external value for CFLAGS is supplied
* Make pg_restore handle 64-bit off_t correctly
* Make contrib/dblink not assume that local and remote type OIDs
match (Joe)
* Quote connectby()\'s start_with argument properly (Joe)
* Don\'t crash when a rowtype argument to a plpgsql function is NULL
* Avoid generating invalid character encoding sequences in corner
cases when planning LIKE operations
* Ensure text_position() cannot scan past end of source string in
multibyte cases (Korea PostgreSQL Users\' Group)
* Fix index optimization and selectivity estimates for LIKE
operations on bytea columns (Joe)

This version, as with most minor versions, does not require a dump/reload
to put into place.

As always, this release is available on all our mirrors, viable at:

http://www.postgresql.org/mirrors-www.html

And, thanks to David Fetter, is also available via BitTorrent at:

http://bt.postgresql.org