Re: PITR Dead horse?

From: Josh Berkus <josh(at)agliodbs(dot)com>
To: pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Cc: "Simon Riggs" <simon(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com>
Subject: Re: PITR Dead horse?
Date: 2004-02-05 05:24:37
Lists: pgsql-hackers

Simon,

> I'd vote for a new list dedicated to discussing "Robustness" issues,
> such as PITR and the fsync/sync issues.
<snip>
> The list probably would remain clearly differentiated, in the same way
> [Performance] covers lots of areas not discussed in [Hackers].

Actually, Simon, you're welcome to bring this discussion over to PERFORMANCE.
We discuss scalability and HA on Performance frequently, and I don't feel
that the discussion you refer to would be out of place.

But Tom is right that you need the feedback of a lot of the people on Hackers
once you start discussing a code solution, so there's not much point in
starting a new mailing list that all the same people need to subscribe to.
Certainly Jan had enough trouble getting meaningful feedback on the sync
issue here; on his own list he'd still be talking to himself.

As far as promoting an image of reliability, that belongs on Advocacy. The
image and the reality don't sync much; we're already about 500% more reliable
than MS SQL Server but ask any ten CIOs what they think? That's just
marketing.

--
-Josh Berkus
Aglio Database Solutions