varchar_pattern_ops in 7.3.4?

From: Kragen Sitaker <kragen+pgsql(at)airwave(dot)com>
To: pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: varchar_pattern_ops in 7.3.4?
Date: 2004-01-21 23:19:08
Lists: pgsql-general

I'd like to be able to do queries like "select count(*), fromline from
message where subject like 'Couldn%'" quickly. I see that, in current
Postgres, I can do this with an index like "create index message_subject
on message using btree(subject varchar_pattern_ops)". But I'm using
Postgres 7.3.4, and it doesn't seem to have varchar_pattern_ops in its
pg_opclass.opcname. Is there an easier way to do these queries than
upgrading?