Re: Notation of index

From: Peter Eisentraut <peter_e(at)gmx(dot)net>
To: Andreas <maps(dot)on(at)gmx(dot)net>, pgsql-sql(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Notation of index
Date: 2004-01-07 18:36:53
Lists: pgsql-sql

Andreas wrote:
> Why can['t] we use INDEX the same way as UNIQUE ?
> Perhaps even as in
> numba INT4 NOT NULL INDEX

If the choice were just index or no index, then this might be ok, but
when you create an index you can choose the index type, the operator
class, a partial index predicate, so the notation would quickly become
complicated. You can also consider similar arguments about why rules
and triggers are created separately.

What would clearly be useful is a way to automatically generate names
for indexes. Maybe we should think about implementing something for
that.