"Permission denied" on view

From: Michael A Nachbaur <mike(at)nachbaur(dot)com>
To: pgsql-sql(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: "Permission denied" on view
Date: 2003-11-25 16:55:13
Lists: pgsql-sql

I'm having a strange problem that, though I found an appropriate thread in the
mailing list archive, archives.postgresql.org seems to be down so I cannot
see what the resolution was.

I have a database "scamp", with my own administrator user and a user "dialup".
Inside the "scamp" database I've created the "dialup" schema, where a few
tables reside. I've created a view called "Dialup.UserGroups" as the
administrator user, and then granted select access to the dialup user on all
the tables that view uses (which are all in the public schema).

When I log into the database with the user dialup, if I perform the raw SQL
statement it returns all the expected results, but I get the following when I
try to select from the view:

scamp=> select * from Dialup.UserGroup;
ERROR: dialup: permission denied

I have tried to create a similar, but differently named, view in the public
schema to no avail.

Essentially, I want to have the dialup user have access to the tables it
needs, but except for one table, they should all be read-only. As such, I
haven't set the ownership for the "dialup" schema to be owned by the "dialup"
user. Could this perhaps be causing some problems?

Any help on the matter would be appreciated (or getting the mailing list
archives website up and running again ;)

--
/* Michael A. Nachbaur <mike(at)nachbaur(dot)com>
* http://nachbaur.com/pgpkey.asc

"He expanded his chest to make it totally clear that here
was the sort of man you only dared to cross if you had a
team of Sherpas with you. "