Re: Background writer process

From: Bruce Momjian <pgman(at)candle(dot)pha(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: Jan Wieck <JanWieck(at)Yahoo(dot)com>
Cc: Kurt Roeckx <Q(at)ping(dot)be>, PostgreSQL-development <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Background writer process
Date: 2003-11-13 22:39:32
Lists: pgsql-hackers

Jan Wieck wrote:
> Bruce Momjian wrote:
>
> > Kurt Roeckx wrote:
> >>
> >> Why is the sync() needed at all? My understanding was that it
> >> was only needed in case of a checkpoint.
> >
> > He found that write() itself didn't encourage the kernel to write the
> > buffers to disk fast enough. I think the final solution will be to use
> > fsync or O_SYNC.
> >

> write() alone doesn't encourage the kernel to do any physical IO at all.
> As long as you have enough OS buffers, it does happy write caching until
> you checkpoint and sync(), and then the system freezes.

That's not completely true. Some kernels with trickle sync, meaning
they sync a little bit regularly rather than all at once so write() does
help get those shared buffers into the kernel for possible writing.
Also, it is possible the kernel will issue a sync() on its own.

--
Bruce Momjian | http://candle.pha.pa.us