Re: Value of Quad vs. Dual Processor machine

From: Jeff <threshar(at)torgo(dot)978(dot)org>
To: "Chris Field" <cfield(at)affinitysolutions(dot)com>
Cc: ron(dot)l(dot)johnson(at)cox(dot)net, pgsql-performance(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Value of Quad vs. Dual Processor machine
Date: 2003-11-12 14:28:07
Lists: pgsql-performance

On Tue, 11 Nov 2003 21:13:19 -0500
"Chris Field" <cfield(at)affinitysolutions(dot)com> wrote:

> we are looking at Xeon, We are currently running it on a quad sun v880
> compiled to be 64bit and have been getting dreadful performance. I
> don't think we really have much to gain from going 64bit.

By chance, are you running 7.3.4 on that sun?
If so, try this:
export CFLAGS=-02
./configure

and rebuild PG.

Before 7.4 PG was build with _no_ optimization on Solaris.
Recompiling gives __HUGE__ (notice the underscores) performance gains.

And onto the dual vs quad.

PG will only use 1 cpu / connection / query.

So if your machine iwll have 1-2 queries running at a time those other 2
proc's will sit around idling. However if you are going to have a bunch
going, 4 cpus will be most useful. One of hte nicest things to do for
PG is more ram and fast IO. It really loves those things.

good luck

--
Jeff Trout <jeff(at)jefftrout(dot)com>
http://www.jefftrout.com/