Re: \xDD patch for 7.5devel

From: Jason Godden <jasongodden(at)optushome(dot)com(dot)au>
To: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>, Stephan Szabo <sszabo(at)megazone(dot)bigpanda(dot)com>
Cc: Markus Bertheau <twanger(at)bluetwanger(dot)de>, pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: \xDD patch for 7.5devel
Date: 2003-11-06 06:44:41
Lists: pgsql-hackers

> #define HEXVALUE(c) \
> (((c) >= '0' && (c) <= '9') ? ((c) - '0') : \
> (((c) >= 'A' && (c) <= 'F') ? ((c) - 'A' + 10) : \
> ((c) - 'a' + 10)))
>
> 3. The third level would be to get rid of the assumption that letters
> are contiguous, which would probably require making a lookup table to
> map from char code to hex value.
>
> I'm not sure level 3 is really worth doing, since AFAIK no one tries to
> run Postgres on any EBCDIC platform. (It's likely that there are other
> places that depend on the letters-are-contiguous assumption anyway.)
> I do think level 1 and probably level 2 are appropriate changes.
>
> regards, tom lane

Hi Guys,

Thanks for the feedback. Tom I'll make the changes proposed here to the macro
and repost the patch to pgsql-patches (and do some reading on Unicode!). I
guess at this stage I would like to offer any of my time to any janitorial
work that might be needed as until im more knowledgeable about the pg source
I think any large scale stuff is off the cards.

Rgds,

Jason