Re: data format problem for upgrede from 7.1->7.3

From: Andrew Sullivan <andrew(at)libertyrms(dot)info>
To: "[ADMIN]" <pgsql-admin(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: data format problem for upgrede from 7.1->7.3
Date: 2003-11-06 17:19:54
Lists: pgsql-admin

On Thu, Nov 06, 2003 at 12:27:03AM +0100, Oli Sennhauser wrote:

> If somebody is telling me now, I have to do this several times a year
> (how can I sell this to a customer???)... It is not a problem handling a
> micky-mouse database. dump/load 100 GB I would gess it takes me more
> than 12 h, 2 or 4 times a year makes an availability of less than 99%.
> If I have 1 TB...???

You can use one of the replication systems, dump/restore to a second
copy of the database (over many hours, yes), start replicating into
that newly-restored database, and then take your outage just long
enough to catch up any changes. Of course, you need twice the disk,
which is a pain, but it's certainly not impossible.

----
Andrew Sullivan 204-4141 Yonge Street
Afilias Canada Toronto, Ontario Canada
<andrew(at)libertyrms(dot)info> M2P 2A8