Re: Row locking during UPDATE

From: Andrew Sullivan <andrew(at)libertyrms(dot)info>
To: pgsql-admin(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Row locking during UPDATE
Date: 2003-09-12 19:28:00
Lists: pgsql-admin

On Fri, Sep 12, 2003 at 09:53:47AM -0400, David F. Skoll wrote:
> > Note that if you do
> > this very frequently, and you have also to select the summary data,
> > it won't work (as I have learned from painful experience) because
> > the holding table will gradually build up a lot of dead tuples.
>
> That doesn't seem to be a problem; after the summary, I do a
> VACUUM and the holding table seems to shrink down nicely.

You apparently don't have the contention that we did. Are your
transactions short? We had a problem with this sort of design, but I
think it was because we had some transactions which ran long and
depended on the summarised results. But if it works for you, great.

----
Andrew Sullivan 204-4141 Yonge Street
Liberty RMS Toronto, Ontario Canada
<andrew(at)libertyrms(dot)info> M2P 2A8