Re: Some basic info regarding postgresql?

From: Bruno Wolff III <bruno(at)wolff(dot)to>
To: "Duffey, Kevin" <KDuffey(at)marketron(dot)com>
Cc: pgsql-admin(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Some basic info regarding postgresql?
Date: 2003-09-12 02:49:33
Lists: pgsql-admin

On Thu, Sep 11, 2003 at 16:18:04 -0700,
"Duffey, Kevin" <KDuffey(at)marketron(dot)com> wrote:

> Security is another biggie. I see that you can limit who can access it based on ip, user name, etc. What other levels of security are there? Can table permissions be set on an individual user, or a group of users? What about row permissions or column permissions? What other ways of security should we be concerned with in regards to the DB itself (deployed on linux of course)?

You can limit access to individual databases in a cluster by ip address
or username (both postgres username and host username). This is done in
pg_hba.conf.

You can also limit access to objects by postgres username and group.
This includes databases, schemas, tables, views, functions, sequences and
probably a few other things. You can't directly restrict access to rows or
columns of a table. You can create views that can only be used by some
users or groups that restrict access to rows and or columns of a table.