Recursive Selects

From: Varun Kacholia <varunk(at)cse(dot)iitb(dot)ac(dot)in>
To: pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Recursive Selects
Date: 2003-09-03 08:52:28
Lists: pgsql-general

Hello All,
I wanted to know whether recursive selects are supported in the latest version
of postgres. I checked out the unimplemented sql constructs and came to know
that "with recursive" is supported in 7.3, but i could not find any documentation
for it.
Actually I have a DB containing the adjancency list (ie tuples of type node1 node2 where
the graph has an edge between node1 and node2) for a graph. Now given any node
i need to find out all its neighbours till a depth of say 5. Hence i need a
recursive select (to avoid giving individual selects as it might take longer
and i am concerned about speed).
Sorry if this is a repost, but i could not find much info in the archieves.
Any help would be appreciated.
TIA
--
Varun