Re: opinion on RAID choice

From: Andrew Sullivan <andrew(at)libertyrms(dot)info>
To: pgsql-performance(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: opinion on RAID choice
Date: 2003-09-02 16:36:29
Lists: pgsql-performance

On Tue, Sep 02, 2003 at 11:24:16AM -0500, Larry Rosenman wrote:
> >tell, you do _not_ want to use RAID 5 with Veritas.
> Out of curiosity, why?

What I keep hearing through various back channels is that, if you pay
folks from Veritas to look at your installation, and they see RAID 5,
they suggest you move it to 1+0. I haven't any idea why. It could
be just a matter of preference; it could be prejudice; it could be
baseless faith in the inefficiency of RAID5; it could be they have
stock in a drive company; or it could be they know about some strange
bug that they haven't an idea how to fix. Nobody's ever been
able/willing to tell me.

----
Andrew Sullivan 204-4141 Yonge Street
Liberty RMS Toronto, Ontario Canada