Re: Example Database

From: "Michael D(dot) Allen" <mallen(at)erhs(dot)la>
To: pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Example Database
Date: 2003-08-22 03:55:52
Lists: pgsql-general

> On 18 Aug 2003 at 16:19, Erwin Brandstetter wrote:
> An example database that demonstrates the usage of all the core
> PostgreSQL features. It is one thing to read extensive documentation,
> but it is much more intuitive for me to see an example database, that
> demonstrates the whole thing interacting. I mean, not just the basic
> elements, but an optimized (and maybe nicely documented) database
> getting the best out of views, triggers, indices, rules, stored
> procedures and so on - maybe even a reference database from the
> PostgreSQL developers themselves?

Yes, this would be very nice indeed. Oracle is an extremely complex
(overgrown)database with a ton of features, but it ships with a set of
example schemas that show off a variety of features pretty well. I'm
speaking of the set of schemas that try to model a company: OE, HR, etc.
SQL Server ships with Northwind and pubs, as another example. But, we would
need a good supplementary document that goes along with whatever
materialized, perhaps guiding new users along in a tutorial manner.

--
Michael D. Allen
mallen(at)erhs(dot)la