Re: newbie and no idea

From: Bruno Wolff III <bruno(at)wolff(dot)to>
To: Aaron <aamehl(at)bezeqint(dot)net>
Cc: pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: newbie and no idea
Date: 2003-08-18 19:06:42
Lists: pgsql-general

On Mon, Aug 18, 2003 at 20:11:41 +0300,
Aaron <aamehl(at)bezeqint(dot)net> wrote:
> A friend of mine just wrote a database for me using postgres.
> I have postgres installed but can't figure out how to change the passwd
> for user postgres.
>
> [root(at)bzq-218-14-208 aamehl]# createdb -U postgres nigun_test
> psql: FATAL: IDENT authentication failed for user "postgres"

It looks like you aren't using password authentication.
One quick solution is to su to postgres before trying to connect to the
database.
Another is to change your pg_hba.conf and pg_ident.conf files to
allow specific system accounts to connect as the postgres database account.
A third option is to change pg_hba.conf to use one of the password
authentication methods instead of ident.