Re: Odd problem with performance in duplicate database

From: Josh Berkus <josh(at)agliodbs(dot)com>
To: pgsql-performance(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Odd problem with performance in duplicate database
Date: 2003-08-11 22:59:09
Lists: pgsql-performance

Peter,

> I'm sure that you've thought of this, but it sounds like you may not have
> done an analyze in your new DB.

Yes. Also a VACUUM. Also forcing a REINDEX on the major involved tables.

Also running counts on the pg_* system tables to see if any objects did not
get restored from the backup as compared with the live database.

By everything I can measure, the live database and the test are identical; yet
the test does not think that idx_caseclients_case is very accessable, and the
live database knows it is.

Is this perhaps a bug with ANALYZE statistics in 7.2.4? I know that in that
version I don't have the option of increasing the statistics sampling ...

--
-Josh Berkus
Aglio Database Solutions