Re: Release changes

From: Bruce Momjian <pgman(at)candle(dot)pha(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: Joe Conway <mail(at)joeconway(dot)com>
Cc: PostgreSQL-development <pgsql-hackers(at)postgreSQL(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Release changes
Date: 2003-08-05 05:01:30
Lists: pgsql-hackers

Joe Conway wrote:
> Bruce Momjian wrote:
> > Here are the changes for 7.4. I am looking for any improvements. This
> > will be adjusted as we move through beta.
> >

> Almost anything with my name on it (but certainly all the array and
> polymorphic function stuff) could have Tom's too, since he reviewed,
> polished, and applied it.

Yes, Tom could be on almost all the patches. It was getting extreme, so
I had to cut it back. Hope that is OK, Tom. :-)

On a philosophical note, I usually don't add core folks to release items
_with_ other folks because we want to encourage non-core contributors,
and because there is already the assumption that core is involved in
many patches.

I added all the 'Tom' attributions you mentioned below.

> > Server Configuration
> >
> > Allow the postmaster to preload libraries using preload_libraries
> > (Joe)
> You might want to move this one up to Performance. Also, it might better
> be "...to preload and preinitialize libraries..."

OK, moved.

> > Add pg_settings table to see server settings (Joe)
> This should be more like:
> Add new columns to pg_settings view: context, vartype, source , min_val,
> max_val (Joe)

Added:

Add new columns in pg_settings: context, type, source , min_val, max_val (Joe)

> > Data Types and Functions
> >
> > Allow WHERE qualifications of the form 'col IN/ANY/SOME/ALL (array) (?) (Joe)
> This should be
> Allow WHERE qualifications of the form 'expr <oper> ANY/SOME/ALL
> (array-expr)' (Tom) (Joe)

Done:

Allow WHERE qualification 'expr <oper> ANY/SOME/ALL (array-expr)' (Tom, Joe)

> > Allow SQL functions to return arrays and take them as params (Joe)
> I think you must be referring to polymorphism here. Maybe:
> Allow polymorphic SQL functions (Tom) (Joe)

OK, updated. I didn't use polymorphic originally because I am not sure
how many people know what it means --- I don't.

> Also:
> Allow user defined aggregates to use polymorphic functions (Tom) (Joe)
> Allow polymorphic user defined aggregates (Tom) (Joe)

Added.

> > Server-side Languages
> >
> Allow polymorphic PL/pgSQL functions (Tom) (Joe)
> Improved compiled function caching mechanism in PL/pgSQL with full
> support for polymorphism (Tom) (Joe)
> Add new $0 parameter in PL/pgSQL representing the function's actual
> return type (Tom) (Joe)

Added.

> > Contrib
> >
> > Add hashes to tablefuncs (Joe)
> More like:
> Add hashed based crosstab function to tablefuncs (Joe)

Updated.

> And:
> Add optional serial column for ordering siblings to connectby() in
> tablefuncs (Nabil Sayegh) (Joe)

Added:

Add serial column to order connectby() siblings in tablefuncs (Nabil
Sayegh,Joe)

> > Fix second argument to metaphone() in fullystrmatch
> Fix bug in metaphone() in fuzzystrmatch

Done.

All in CVS. I reworded some to get them into one line.

--
Bruce Momjian | http://candle.pha.pa.us