Re: PostgreSQL 7.3.3 with pgcrypto on FreeBSD 5.1

From: Sean Chittenden <sean(at)chittenden(dot)org>
To: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
Cc: Alex Rodin <alx(at)sm(dot)ukrtel(dot)net>, pgsql-bugs(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: PostgreSQL 7.3.3 with pgcrypto on FreeBSD 5.1
Date: 2003-08-04 00:10:52
Lists: pgsql-bugs

> >> Perhaps the problem is that Marko didn't fix the crypt() code in
> >> the same way?
>
> > Ah, I think that's _very_ likely the case here... -sc
>
> I updated to openssl 0.9.7b on my HPUX machine, and still do not see any
> failure in
>
> regression=# SELECT crypt('lalalal',gen_salt('md5'));
> crypt
> ------------------------------------
> $1$.yzzlyzz$W8vpUQ3Nonx20vchlBQye/
> (1 row)
>
> So it seems that OpenSSL version is not the issue --- or at least not
> the whole story. Maybe there is some platform-dependency here too.

Possible, but I'm a skeptical of that. FreeBSD's openssl code
_should_ be stock (unless someone bungled the import) with the
exception of not including Win32 or other non-FreeBSD related bits.
crypt() works when salted with only 2 chars, however it shouldn't core
with more than that... I ran this test case through gdb a few times
and couldn't come up with anything worth while, though I'm pretty sure
that's because the object files were optimized > -O and garbled.

-sc

--
Sean Chittenden