Re: Billions of records?

From: Shridhar Daithankar <shridhar_daithankar(at)persistent(dot)co(dot)in>
To: John Bercik <bercikj(at)musc(dot)edu>
Cc: pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Billions of records?
Date: 2003-07-15 14:53:00
Lists: pgsql-general

On Tuesday 15 July 2003 20:01, John Bercik wrote:
> Thanks for the reply. So given my conditions, how many records can PG
> hold? I got the 16TB from the limitations page but I don't see how to
> calculate how many records I can hold.

OK. Let's calculate. You have 50 fields of 20 char each. So each field would
go for 24 bytes at least assuming a 4 byte integer for length.

So a tuple size is 50*24+28=1228 bytes. So in a page of 8KB, you would get 6
tuples.

In 16TB you can accomodate, 2GB pages. So you can accomodate around 12 billion
tuples for your table schema.

If you get true char types, that would accomodate 7 tuples per page. So you
could get around 14 billion tuples in there.

HTH

BTW How much data you actually have?

Shridhar