Re: initcap incompatibility issue

From: nolan(at)celery(dot)tssi(dot)com
To: nolan(at)celery(dot)tssi(dot)com
Cc: pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org (pgsql hackers list)
Subject: Re: initcap incompatibility issue
Date: 2003-07-09 18:29:06
Lists: pgsql-hackers

> The initcap function is not completely consistent with Oracle's initcap
> function:
>
> SELECT initcap('alex hyde-whyte');
>
> In Oracle 9.2i this will return 'Alex Hyde-White', in PostgreSQL 7.3.3
> it returns 'Alex Hyde-white'.

No, it doesn't change the 'y' to an 'i', that's a typo in my earlier
note. As far as I can tell, not capitalizing the first letter after a dash
is the only inconsistency with Oracle's implementation of this function.

If a patch is in order at this time, I will try to produce it, I need to
learn set up CVS and how to do that anyway. :-)
--
Mike Nolan