Home-brewed table syncronization

From: Michael A Nachbaur <mike(at)nachbaur(dot)com>
To: pgsql-sql(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Home-brewed table syncronization
Date: 2003-07-09 21:14:19
Lists: pgsql-sql

Hello everyone,

While I still have plans to do some more work on RServ, it is apparent to me
that I need a more immediate solution. I'm not replicating my entire
dataset, but rather just some "summary" tables that are maintained by stored
procedures. This means RServ is an iffy proposition at best for me right now.

So, I'm looking at syncronizing 4 tables from one master database to several
child databases. I'm thinking of doing the following with DBD::Multiplex:

DELETE FROM TableA;
INSERT INTO TableA (..) VALUES (...);

on all the child databases, but I'm not sure what kind of impact this would
have on my servers. My impression is that this would hammer the indexes, and
might blow any memory optimization out the window. Only a few records in my
dataset will change from time-to-time, but just the process of determining
what is different may take more effort than simply rebuilding.

What are your thoughts? These tables will probably only have a maximum of
10,000 rows in total, but I'm going to have to syncronize once per minute; as
a result, I wouldn't like this to take any longer than about 10 seconds.

--
/* Michael A. Nachbaur <mike(at)nachbaur(dot)com>
* http://nachbaur.com/pgpkey.asc

"Out," he said. People who can supply that amount of firepower don't need to
supply verbs as well.