Rules and actions involving multiple rows

From: Jason Godden <jasongodden(at)optushome(dot)com(dot)au>
To: pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Rules and actions involving multiple rows
Date: 2003-07-06 04:48:59
Lists: pgsql-general

Hi All,

Just have a quick question regarding rules:

In the past I've always used triggers to fire before or after events however I
see that the same thing can be achieved through rules (for logging etc...) so
I created a rule which fires on update (not DO INSTEAD) however it only seems
to work for a single row - whereas the triggers work for all rows updated in
a transaction. Is this correct and if so I presume I should be sticking to
triggers if I want this kind of behaviour?

Rgds,

Jason