Re: updating data but the constraint is set "immediate"

From: Stephan Szabo <sszabo(at)megazone23(dot)bigpanda(dot)com>
To: Rudy Koento <rudy_koento(at)yahoo(dot)com>
Cc: <pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: updating data but the constraint is set "immediate"
Date: 2003-07-01 16:09:58
Lists: pgsql-general

On Tue, 1 Jul 2003, Rudy Koento wrote:

> I've realised that my tables' constraint was set to
> IMMEDIATE. So, when I update one table, there's error
> because of referential integrity. Reading the docs, I
> read that SET CONSTRAINTS has no effect on IMMEDIATE
> (and I've confirmed that by trying it out).

Actually SET CONSTRAINTS has no effect on NOT DEFERRABLE
constraints (which is the default for initially immediate
iirc but not required).

> Is there anyway I can circumvent this? I remembered I

The best way is probably to drop and re-add the constraint
with the attributes you want (possibly deferrable initially
immediate if you want to be normally immediate but with the
possibility of set constraints)