Re: Two weeks to feature freeze

From: Kevin Brown <kevin(at)sysexperts(dot)com>
To: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
Cc: Dann Corbit <DCorbit(at)connx(dot)com>, Jason Earl <jason(dot)earl(at)simplot(dot)com>, PostgreSQL-development <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Two weeks to feature freeze
Date: 2003-06-21 22:15:03
Lists: pgsql-hackers

Tom Lane wrote:
> I have been through crash-me in some detail, and it left a very bad
> taste in my mouth. Don't bother holding it up as an example of good
> practice.

You seem to miss Dan's point. The specific implementation of crashme
is undoubtedly flawed in a number of ways, but the idea is very useful
as part of an acceptance testing suite. In short, it would probably
be beneficial to us to fix crashme so that it tests the proper,
standards-compliant things and reports the actual results, and then
include it in the test suite.

Indeed, we could even go so far as to use it for our own marketing
purposes! Have it cite, for each test, which part of the SQL spec it's
testing and what the result should be.

--
Kevin Brown kevin(at)sysexperts(dot)com