Re: plpython? (Was: Re: Damn triggers and NEW)

From: elein <elein(at)varlena(dot)com>
To: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>, Erv Young <ervyoung(at)nc(dot)rr(dot)com>
Cc: "Nigel J(dot) Andrews" <nandrews(at)investsystems(dot)co(dot)uk>, Joe Conway <mail(at)joeconway(dot)com>, pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: plpython? (Was: Re: Damn triggers and NEW)
Date: 2003-06-19 21:17:51
Lists: pgsql-general

I strongly protest the pulling of plpython.
Make it untrusted if necessary, but don't
pull it. The capabilities of plpython are
much too valuable to trash.

At this point I am available as a tester,
but not as a developer for any changes to the
interface. Drag me into the frey. I may also
be free to do development a bit later.

I am also actively promoting the use of plpython
on General Bits and other places
so we may get even more resistance to
just trashing it.

elein(at)varlena(dot)com

On Tuesday 17 June 2003 13:28, Tom Lane wrote:
> Erv Young <ervyoung(at)nc(dot)rr(dot)com> writes:
> > At 04:14 PM 6/17/2003 +0100, Nigel J. Andrews wrote:
> >> Of course, given that plpython seems on it's last legs for now....
>
> > Ummm.... (I haven't actually been on one of the nearby planets for the
> > last 18 months, but the effect is much the same.) Tell me more.
>
> You can check our archives (search for "python" a month or two back)
> but it seems that the latest Python release removes rexec because it
> had some fundamental security holes. That breaks plpython because it
> depends on rexec. We could change plpython to an untrusted language
> if someone cares enough to develop a patch to remove the use of
> rexec. Otherwise I fear we'll have to pull it.
>
> regards, tom lane

elein(at)varlena(dot)com Database Consulting www.varlena.com
PostgreSQL General Bits http:/www.varlena.com/GeneralBits/
"Free your mind the rest will follow" -- en vogue