Re: Postgres performance comments from a MySQL user

From: Martin Marques <martin(at)bugs(dot)unl(dot)edu(dot)ar>
To: Jonathan Bartlett <johnnyb(at)eskimo(dot)com>, "Jay O'Connor" <joconnor(at)cybermesa(dot)com>
Cc: pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Postgres performance comments from a MySQL user
Date: 2003-06-12 13:05:08
Lists: pgsql-general

On Mié 11 Jun 2003 12:29, Jonathan Bartlett wrote:

> 3) If your point was to move to a relational database, then you should
> choose Postgres. MySQL, although it's SQL, hardly qualifies as
> relational

MySQL doesn't have relations at all, unless you put the InnoDB module,
which stamps down performance.

An example I tried to do on a MySQL without InnoDB was:

CREATE TABLE testing (
id INT,
word VARCHAR(20) REFERENCES other_table("word")
);

(knowing that other_table exists (I prefiously created it) and has word as
a VARCHAR(20) field).

An error is what I got.

--
Porqué usar una base de datos relacional cualquiera,
si podés usar PostgreSQL?