Re: NULL values for geometric type?

From: Stephan Szabo <sszabo(at)megazone23(dot)bigpanda(dot)com>
To: "Verhaag, G(dot)" <G(dot)Verhaag(at)lrcb(dot)umcn(dot)nl>
Cc: <pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: NULL values for geometric type?
Date: 2003-06-12 14:14:45
Lists: pgsql-general

On Thu, 12 Jun 2003, Verhaag, G. wrote:

> Dear list-member,
>
> Am I right in saying that geometric types like POINT, BOX,CIRCLE do
> not accept NULL values? I receive the following message: ERROR:
> copy: line 1, Bad box external representation 'NULL', when trying just
> that!

It looks like you're probably trying to insert the text NULL rather than a
NULL into the column. I can insert a NULL with insert or in a copy if I
use the correct nullstring (you can set what is read as a null with a NULL
[ AS ] 'nullstring' option to copy. Can you give a full example of what
you were trying?