Changing owner of function -- best method?

From: Josh Berkus <josh(at)agliodbs(dot)com>
To: "pgsql-sql" <pgsql-sql(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Changing owner of function -- best method?
Date: 2003-06-05 15:06:34
Lists: pgsql-sql

Folks,

I have several functions in a 7.2.4 database that I accidentally REPLACEd
while logged in as the superuser, instead of the db owner. As a result, the
db owner can no longer modify those functions -- they belong to the
superuser.

As this is a production database, I can't drop the functions and re-create
them as a different user ... the interruption in service would not be
acceptable. I was wondering whether there were any problems with either of
the following methods:

A) Updating the pg_proc table to change the function owner;
B) Making the db_owner a superuser, replacing the functions, and then making
the db_owner a non-superuser again.

BTW, is there a neater method to deal with this in 7.4? 7.2 and 7.3 have
ALTER TABLE ... CHANGE OWNER, but other types of objects don't seem to have a
CHANGE OWNER option.

--
Josh Berkus
Aglio Database Solutions