Re: default locale considered harmful? (was Re: [GENERAL]

From: Alvaro Herrera <alvherre(at)dcc(dot)uchile(dot)cl>
To: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
Cc: Bruce Momjian <pgman(at)candle(dot)pha(dot)pa(dot)us>, Peter Eisentraut <peter_e(at)gmx(dot)net>, PostgreSQL Development <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: default locale considered harmful? (was Re: [GENERAL]
Date: 2003-06-05 05:25:37
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On Wed, Jun 04, 2003 at 11:05:03PM -0400, Tom Lane wrote:
> > That is one thing I liked about the initdb mention --- it clearly told
> > them to watch out for something they might not have been looking for.
>
> Only if they read the message, though. People who are running RPM
> installations probably never get to see what initdb has to say ...
> so I can't put much faith in the usefulness of warnings emitted by
> initdb.

It'd be nice if the RPM installation mailed initdb's messages to someone
(root(at)localhost maybe). It's not impossible, and while it's likely that
RedHat would remove the feature, at least PGDG's RPM would do it. Same
for DEBs and other binary packages...

"Nunca confiaré en un traidor. Ni siquiera si el traidor lo he creado yo"
(Barón Vladimir Harkonnen)