to copy a record

From: "Jay O'Connor" <joconnor(at)cybermesa(dot)com>
To: pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: to copy a record
Date: 2003-06-04 18:36:36
Lists: pgsql-general

All,

I want to copy a record, changing only a few fields. I was going to do
this with a plpgsql function, just by selecting the record I want copied
into a variable, changing the field I need, and doing an INSERT

My problem is that I'd like to do it without having to explicitly name each
field in the INSERT I'd like to do something like
DECLARE
copyRec RECORD;

BEGIN
SELECT INTO copyRec...

copyRec.field1 = newValue;

INSERT INTO myTable VALUES (copyRec) <---

and nor have to list each field like:

VALUES (copyRec.field1, copyRec.field2...)

Any way of doing that?

Thanks

Take care,
Jay