Re: Postgres config file: autocommit = off

From: Bruce Momjian <pgman(at)candle(dot)pha(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
Cc: "Nigel J(dot) Andrews" <nandrews(at)investsystems(dot)co(dot)uk>, Rasmus Resen Amossen <rresena(at)hotmail(dot)com>, pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Postgres config file: autocommit = off
Date: 2003-06-02 18:57:49
Lists: pgsql-hackers

Tom Lane wrote:
> > In thinking about it, I don't see how we can ignore .psqlrc if it has
> > autocommit set to off. Imagine I am in psql and I do '\i file', and it
> > works, so I code up psql -c in a script, and it doesn't work --- would
> > be quite strange.
>
> What's your point? "psql -c '\i file'" doesn't work either.
>
> Surely you don't want to have to put back all those SET AUTOCOMMITs again.

No.

> Yeah, it's a bit warty, but psql -c is inherently different from a psql
> script. IMHO it's not reasonable to make (shell) scripts using psql -c

How is it different, except for having no prompt? I never assumed it
would behave differently.

> have to explicitly state the obvious, which is that they'd like their
> command committed.

They can't do that from in the file anymore (command-line arg?), or will
we have backslash commands for autocommit off? (Yikes, a new backslash
command, or two?)

--
Bruce Momjian | http://candle.pha.pa.us