Using UPPER and TRIM (INDEX usage)

From: Mintoo Lall <tlqmail(at)yahoo(dot)com>
To: pgsql-sql(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Using UPPER and TRIM (INDEX usage)
Date: 2003-05-26 02:48:29
Lists: pgsql-sql

Hi Everybody,

How do I use "TRIM" and "UPPER" both in the SQL statement and still use the index.

I created an index on myTable in the following way

CREATE INDEX index_fname_myTable ON myTable USING btree (upper(fname));

Now the SQL I used was

SELECT * FROM myTable where upper(trim(fname))= 'JOHN':: character varying

The postgresql doesnt use the index on fname in the above case.

But if I use only "UPPER" in the SQL statement, the postgresql uses the index. For eg. SELECT * FROM myTable where upper(fname)= 'JOHN':: character varying

Any help is appreciated.

Regards
Mintoo