Patch from Aurora SPARC linux project -- -fpic verus -fPIC.

From: Lamar Owen <lamar(dot)owen(at)wgcr(dot)org>
To: pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Patch from Aurora SPARC linux project -- -fpic verus -fPIC.
Date: 2003-05-17 03:51:31
Lists: pgsql-hackers

I received a patch the other day from Tom Callaway ('spot'), who is the lead
for the Aurora SPARC Linux project (auroralinux.org). He is working through
updating Aurora to a Red Hat 9 base, up from the current (very stable) Red
Hat 7.3 base.

I am an Aurora user, and am using PostgreSQL 7.2.4 on Aurora 1.0 in
production.

The patch is attached, but brings up a question that I have already briefly
discussed with Tom Lane, who's suggestion was interesting. The patch is
intended to change the existing '-fpic' gcc option to '-fPIC' for sparc, for
the CFLAGS_SL in src/makefiles/Makefile.linux. Tom's suggestion, which I had
given cursory thought to when I received the patch, is to change to -fPIC
across the board instead of -fpic.

Is there a good reason to use -fpic instead of -fPIC? PostgreSQL 7.2.4
compiles and links fine on SPARC under the gcc 2.96RH compiler; 7.3.2 does
not link OK under the gcc 3.2 compiler, both with -fpic.
--
Lamar Owen
WGCR Internet Radio

Attachment Content-Type Size
postgresql-732-sparc.patch text/x-diff 535 bytes