Re: database running slow

From: Andrew Sullivan <andrew(at)libertyrms(dot)info>
To: pgsql-admin(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: database running slow
Date: 2003-05-14 17:46:06
Lists: pgsql-admin

On Tue, May 13, 2003 at 10:19:55AM -0700, Shankar K wrote:

> Define "run-away". You can look for long-running
> transactions; that might be helpful.
>
> ++ i meant a backend process taking most of the cpu
> cycles and running for ever. so i wanted to figure out
> what those processes were doing and what made them to
> hog the cpu cycles.

You can use the pid of a process to look it up in the system tables.
There's no simple way to identify long-running ones, except to look
for back ends that have been hanging around for a long time (but if
you're using pooling, it won't help you). Tools like top will be
helpful in identifying processor hogs.

> ++ how to identify those queries. once i have the

If you can identify the process, then you can identify the pid, and
use the pid in the stats tables to get the query.

----
Andrew Sullivan 204-4141 Yonge Street
Liberty RMS Toronto, Ontario Canada
<andrew(at)libertyrms(dot)info> M2P 2A8