Re: Type coercion on column in a query

From: Richard Huxton <dev(at)archonet(dot)com>
To: Randall Lucas <rlucas(at)tercent(dot)net>
Cc: "Kenny Mok" <kenny(at)vis-ken(dot)com>, <pgsql-sql(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Type coercion on column in a query
Date: 2003-05-14 16:32:11
Lists: pgsql-sql

On Wednesday 14 May 2003 5:10 pm, Randall Lucas wrote:
> Along the same lines, is it possible to tell whether a column may be
> cast to a given type (e.g. numeric) without throwing an error?
>
> Specifically, I have some values that will probably be numbers but
> might have some free text or other gobbledygook in there. I want to
> take the sum of all the numeric values, and maybe the average as well.
> So what I envision is:
>
> table dirty_data (
> id int,
> dirty_numbers text
> );

> select sum( safe_numeric_cast(dirty_numbers) ) from dirty_data where
> safe_numeric_cast(dirty_numbers) is not null;

You'd have to write "safe_numeric_cast()" in plperl, or possibly pltcl (sorry,
I don't use TCL). There's no exception handling in Postgresql (nor will there
be in the next few months).

Alternatively, you could conceivably write a bunch of is_numeric(), is_int()
etc functions and test first.

--
Richard Huxton