can't alter user with the postgres user

From: Katy Earl <khaetee(at)yahoo(dot)com>
To: pgsql-novice(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: can't alter user with the postgres user
Date: 2003-05-13 19:27:44
Lists: pgsql-novice

I'm brand new to postgres, and I didn't install it on
the machine I'm using so I don't entirely understand
its configuration. But isn't the 'postgres' user
supposed to be like the root user for PostgreSQL?
Well, for some reason, my postgres user doesn't have
the privilege to create other users...

How do I give 'postgres' the privilege to create
users?

Katy

PS Should my entire /usr/local/pgsql directory by
owned by the user and group 'postgres'?