Query regarding Insert Statement!!!!

From: sandeep bantia <s_bantia(at)yahoo(dot)co(dot)in>
To: pgsql-novice(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Query regarding Insert Statement!!!!
Date: 2003-05-13 13:52:01
Lists: pgsql-novice

Hi everybody,
This would seem a very fundamental doubt to you all
and might've been addressed before too, but I couldn't
find it on the mailing lists, so had to put on the
mailing list.
My question to all of you is as follows:
I tried to insert a row into a table of my database
in the following format:
INSERT INTO TABLENAME SET
(COL_NAME1='VALUE1',COLNAME_NAME2='VALUE2'...);
but this doesn't seem to work and i get the message
that "parse error at or near set"

I also tried this query,
INSERT INTO TABLENAME SET values
(COL_NAME1='VALUE1',COLNAME_NAME2='VALUE2'...);
but this too doesn't work!!!
I think this type of insert statement is supported in
MySQL,but not very sure about PostGreSQL.

I use postgresql7.2.3 on linux.

Please do reply to my query.
Thanks in advance.
Sandeep!!!