Re: Postgresql goes down need to restart (redhat postgresql service script) lock files removal avoid 2 postmasters

From: Bruno Wolff III <bruno(at)wolff(dot)to>
To: mlaks <mlaks(at)bellatlantic(dot)net>
Cc: pgsql-admin(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Postgresql goes down need to restart (redhat postgresql service script) lock files removal avoid 2 postmasters
Date: 2003-05-08 19:41:31
Lists: pgsql-admin

On Thu, May 08, 2003 at 14:57:15 -0400,
mlaks <mlaks(at)bellatlantic(dot)net> wrote:

> 1. check for a running postmaster
> 2 if not delete the /var/lib/pgsql/data/postmaster.pid files
>
> where would we go wrong with duplicate postmistresses?

postmaster already does that, but there may be cases where it thinks there
is a running postmater and there really isn't. In that case you would
need to verify this, remove the lock file and start by hand.

Having two postmasters running at the same time for the same data
directory will corrupt your databases.