Re: sorting chinese characters

From: Ian Barwick <barwick(at)gmx(dot)net>
To: "prabahar" <prabahar(at)questech(dot)co(dot)in>, pgsql-sql(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: sorting chinese characters
Date: 2003-04-26 06:52:29
Lists: pgsql-sql

On Saturday 26 April 2003 03:55, prabahar wrote:
> Thanks for your reply, Let me explain a bit more about my problem. I have a
> member master table where in i have member_name_hiragana,
> member_name_chinese [member_name_hiragana has member names in hiragana
> chars and
> member_name_chinese has member names in chinese chars].
> when i execute the query "select * from member_master orderby
> member_name_hiragana" then the sort it a proper sort order. But when i
> execute "select * from member_master orderby member_name_chinese" then it
> does not sort properly. I am not sure about the sort order, but my clients
> say that that is not a proper sort. How can i fix this?

This sounds like "member_name_hiragana" is the sort key you need so I would
stick to this unless you have some specific requirement to sort by Chinese
character, which is unusual and as I said non-trivial. It might be worth using
"member_name_chinese" as a secondary sort key to produce reproducible
results in those cases where "member_name_hiragana" are the same
but "member_name_chinese" are different; the JIS character sets contain
characters in a _crude_ order which may be useful for this case.

HTH

Ian Barwick
barwick(at)gmx(dot)net