Re: more contrib: log rotator

From: Lamar Owen <lamar(dot)owen(at)wgcr(dot)org>
To: Andrew Sullivan <andrew(at)libertyrms(dot)info>, PostgreSQL Development <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: more contrib: log rotator
Date: 2003-04-07 15:45:07
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On Sunday 06 April 2003 18:54, Andrew Sullivan wrote:
> On Mon, Apr 07, 2003 at 12:42:34AM +0200, Peter Eisentraut wrote:
> > My point was that log file rotation should be left up to the system
> > administrator. Look at other servers on your system (SMTP, DNS,
> > whatever). How do they handle it?

> PostgreSQL is not a system process, and I think it's a mistake to
> assume that it is. We, for instance, do not have root on the
> machines we use. It's important to assume that users needn't be
> system administrators to use the system.

I personally believe that making the assumption that PostgreSQL is not a
system process is wrong. One can run system services as a normal user (in
fact, it is recommended that as few system services as is possible should run
as root); but the fact that a daemon is running as a normal user doesn't make
it not a system process. But that's just a difference of system
administration opinion.

However, I can see the utility of a bundled simple log rotator. The key word
is simple -- we have the full-fledged route now, called syslog. And if
someone needs a better logrotator they can certainly get one of the many that
are already available.

At the same time I don't necessarily want such a log rotator to be the
default. We have syslog as the default. If someone has the particular need
for a stderr/stdout log rotator, then let it be a configure option.
--
Lamar Owen
WGCR Internet Radio