Re: Detecting corrupted pages earlier

From: Kevin Brown <kevin(at)sysexperts(dot)com>
To: pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Detecting corrupted pages earlier
Date: 2003-04-02 20:55:10
Lists: pgsql-hackers

Tom Lane wrote:
> > Perhaps better would be to throw a message message any time it is turned
> > on, reminding them it should not be left on. Is that cleaner?
>
> Where are you going to throw a message to, if it's in postgresql.conf?
>
> Bleating in the postmaster log probably won't draw the attention of a
> user clueless enough to be trying this ;-)

Perhaps. I'd bank more on the user checking the postmaster log than
being clueful enough not to use this, though, since the postmaster log
is pretty much a universal thing that has been around a long time
while this option hasn't. Cluelessness about the use of a rather
esoteric option doesn't necessarily imply total cluelessness. :-)

--
Kevin Brown kevin(at)sysexperts(dot)com