Re: Off topic : world database

From: Bruno Wolff III <bruno(at)wolff(dot)to>
To: Oleg Bartunov <oleg(at)sai(dot)msu(dot)su>
Cc: Rajesh Kumar Mallah <mallah(at)trade-india(dot)com>, Rudi Starcevic <rudi(at)oasis(dot)net(dot)au>, pgsql-sql(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Off topic : world database
Date: 2003-04-01 15:32:14
Lists: pgsql-sql

On Tue, Apr 01, 2003 at 19:26:33 +0400,
Oleg Bartunov <oleg(at)sai(dot)msu(dot)su> wrote:
> I don't know if it's legal to use data from
> http://www.nima.mil/gns/html/index.html
> but it's a huge collection of geo data.

I found that as it was referenced from the calea site. And NIMA points
to another US government site that contains data for the US and
Antartica (which the NIMA site doesn't). These places seem to be a better
place to get the data than calea since you can get the data in a smaller
number of downloads and you don't have to extract the data from html.
There is also location data for other kinds of objects besides populated
places.