Re: sort / limit / range problem

From: "Tomasz Myrta" <jasiek(at)klaster(dot)net>
To: Gary Stainburn <gary(dot)stainburn(at)ringways(dot)co(dot)uk>, pgsql-sql(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: sort / limit / range problem
Date: 2003-03-05 07:47:24
Lists: pgsql-sql

> Hi folks,
>
> I've got a glossary table that I'm trying to render to HTML.
> However, I've got a problem when using order by and limit. Below
> is an example of a psql session showing my problem. Anyone got any
> reasons why the last select misses 'Driver'?

Everything is ok. Without order by, limit has undeterminated result. It is
described in Postgresql documentation.

Try this:

select glterm from glossary where glterm > 'Driving Wheels'
order by glterm limit 1

select glterm from glossary where glterm > 'Draw Bar'
order by glterm limit 1

Regards,
Tomasz Myrta