Re: In 7.3.1, will I be able to reindex toast?

From: Bruce Momjian <pgman(at)candle(dot)pha(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: Jeffrey Baker <jwbaker(at)acm(dot)org>
Cc: pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: In 7.3.1, will I be able to reindex toast?
Date: 2003-02-14 21:35:33
Lists: pgsql-general

Jeffrey Baker wrote:
> I am considering moving to 7.3 from 7.2. I have the
> obnoxious toast index growth problem of doom. In 7.2 I am
> not allowed to reindex toast tables, because they are of
> type 't'. How smug :)
>
> The problem is I don't want to move to 7.3 unless I can be
> certain this is going to work. There are many incompatible
> changes in 7.3, and I will need to audit tens of thousands
> of lines of queries before I can make the move. Can someone
> reassure me? It says you can reindex toast tables in the
> changelog, but ...
>
> Also I assume REINDEX in 7.3 still requires exclusive
> access? That could be a bummer.

Well, I am sure whoever applied the patch, Tom, tested it:

revision 1.85
date: 2002/08/29 15:56:20; author: tgl; state: Exp; lines: +15 -17
Cause REINDEX to regard TOAST tables as regular relations, not system
tables that need special defenses. I believe this is okay even for
TOAST tables that belong to system tables.

If you want to be sure, install 7.3 on a different port and test it.

--
Bruce Momjian | http://candle.pha.pa.us