Re: What is wrong with this identification configuration?

From: Bruno Wolff III <bruno(at)wolff(dot)to>
To: Wei Weng <wengwei(at)alumni(dot)stevens-tech(dot)edu>
Cc: pgsql-sql(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: What is wrong with this identification configuration?
Date: 2003-02-12 03:46:15
Lists: pgsql-sql

On Tue, Feb 11, 2003 at 21:45:49 -0500,
Wei Weng <wweng(at)kencast(dot)com> wrote:
> <SNIP>
> > The format of the hba.conf file changed between 7.1 and 7.2. It looks like
> > you are using an old one. After the database field, there is now a user
> > field. To get the same effect as before, use 'all' for the user.
> I installed PostgreSQL rpm on a fresh installed Redhat 7.3. There is no
> PostgreSQL 7.1 previously installed so I don't think the pg_hba.conf I was
> editing is a left-over copy.
>
> Specifically, which part of the configuration:
>

> is wrong and should be fixed accordingly?

I think you want:
local all all trust
host all all 127.0.0.1 255.255.255.255 trust

It is possible I am wrong about when the format changed. I have been using
7.3 for a long time now. But the error message you got suggested that it
was looking for a match of connection method, database and user which is
what the newer version of the config file lists. Previously on;y connection
method and database were used.