Re: PGconn thread safety

From: Shridhar Daithankar <shridhar_daithankar(at)persistent(dot)co(dot)in>
To: PostgreSQL General <pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: PGconn thread safety
Date: 2003-02-07 07:50:20
Lists: pgsql-general

On Friday 07 February 2003 12:44 pm, you wrote:
> Neil Conway <neilc(at)samurai(dot)com> writes:
> That's the theory anyway. I believe it actually is free of unsafe uses
> of static variables. However, someone recently pointed out that it uses
> some libc routines that probably aren't thread-safe; so there's some
> cleanup yet to do before we can claim real thread safety.

Well, I ran a mutlithreaded test where around 30 connections were hammered in
a mutlihtreaded servers using libpq for 100,000 transactions. I didn't notice
any data inconsistency.

Only noticable thing was that postgresql was not returning even simplest
result in less than 200 ms. So in order to achieve a good throughput, I had
to up the number of connections. The max throughput. was 200ms/no. of
connections.

but that is a different issue..

Shridhar